Thursday, June 6, 2013

New York, London, and Paris

I'm sort of at a crossroads right now. I feel like I have to choose between fashion weeks, when in all honesty they all have their pros and cons. New York, my dream city was the place I escaped to and finally started growing up. London, one of the most creative places on earth, and also home to the world renowned University of Arts London. Paris, the most beautiful and dream-worthy city, also home to my best friend.


How do I choose between the three of them?! That's my dilemma. I was recently accepted into the London College of Fashion(about 20 days ago), and I'm so happy. I got into my dream foundation course that will lead me to Central Saint Martin's Communications BA. As happy as I am, there's a lot to factor into that. On the one hand LCF and UAL would really propel me to the heights that I'm gunning for. I can see a bright future if I were to take that path, but on the other hand, I'd be really far away from home, and since I'm a Cali boy, that's a long ways away from home. It's pretty much asking to have to skype my family and friends for the next 3 years. I've gotten so close to them and so used to being within the vicinity of people I care about. Also, I have a cat, and I'm pretty damn sure that dorms won't allow little Spikey to bunk with me. He's my son, and I refuse to let fashion school get in the way of that bond. I made a promise that he'd be with me every step of the way.

That brings me to Paris. In Paris, I have my best friend who's practically a sister to me. She's always been there for me even though we live half way across the world. Another great thing is that I also got accepted into Mod'Art Paris, which she just so happens to matriculate at as well. They focus mainly on management, which is fine, but my real passion is media, editorial and imagery. I'd be able to take advantage of their contacts and definitely excel there, but it's not my dream job. It's just, not many people have the opportunity to live in Paris with their best friend-I forgot to mention I can bring my cat!

Last, but not least New York...How I love you. You've been the center of my universe and all my decisions have revolved around you. I apologize, I'm having a moment here. As great as you are, and how I love you so, I can't help but think it's time to set my sights on Europe. I have to be honest that I am afraid of the natural disasters that keep hitting the east coast, but I almost want to be inaccessible for a period of my life. I want to experience different cultures.

So, New York is my favorite city, London is home to my dream school, and Paris is the home of my best friend and is the most affordable option. Gah!!! I don't know. I still have to apply to FIT NYC and explore all three of my options.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive